Mermaid Lagoon ♥

"I wanted to create an outfit that not only screamed "mermaid", but also showcased my love for fashion. Using stretchy fabrics, lace, and glitter fabric paint, I hand-sewed this together with floss! It's much stronger and really held this tail together as I maneuvered around on the beach and on sharp rocks. 

Personally, this project meant a lot to me. As a child, while other kids dreamed to be teachers, firefighters, or even super heroes, I wanted to be a mermaid. Being able to breathe underwater and talk to all kinds of fish (& look fabulous while doing so) was incredible. My deep love for the ocean, and its beautiful iridescent colors inspired this look completely."


Close-ups & details
I was inspired by a few wedding dresses with deep v-cuts on the back, so I cut up my old tops & added that detail with two colors of lace (navy and white) on the back of my tail(: I wanted to add extra fins on the sides of the tail, but wanted it to look more fashion inspired than realistic, so I let a two toned purple fabric just drop and form its own ruffle.


In addition to that, I wanted the tail to shimmer and gleam in the sun so I painted over the fabric with glitter paint I purchased from Joann's. Since there was purple on the tail, I wanted to make the fin purple. I purchased a two-toned fabric, and instead of painting the fabric, I fringed the fin down the middle using floss, creating natural creases(: 

Beach Location: Baker Beach
Photographer: @fvbio.xcv (on Instagram) 
This location was my absolute favorite! Not only could you see the Golden Gate Bridge from far away, there were also many rocks covered in seaweed I was able to sit on and hide behind. It was the perfect location, and my photographer friend captured everything so beautifully. However, he also captured the moment a huge wave washed over me completely as I held on for dear life! Although it was a freezing experience, the results were beautiful; overall, it was totally worth it(: 



I really hope you enjoyed this blogpost my beautiful jewels and gems(: I also have another project in mind and I cannot wait to get it started and share it with you all ♥ if you have any questions about this project, feel free to comment down below or personally message me! I would love to hear from you, and answer any questions that you have. Until next time! xoxo -- juliannemng

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form

Hello there(: